Pages

Thursday, October 24, 2013

1st Experiment Gram Staining

So I got accepted as an S-STEM intern, and have been given my first assignment of Gram Staining. My first Gram stain was not so great and had to redo it. With some help from Josh and Matt I was able to get a good picture under the microscope. Below you can see a picture of the bacteria growth on the petri dish.


This is the progression after one day. In the picture you can see the zigzag pattern where I rubbed the inoculation loop. Today 10/24/13 I performed an Oxidase Test. Essentially to perform this test a small piece of filter paper is soaked in 1% Kovács oxidase. Then the bacteria from the petri dish is rubbed with an inoculation loop onto the paper and if the sample turns purple that means the microorganisms are oxidase positive and if there is no color change that means they are negative. As of the moment, my samples are back in the incubator undergoing a new test. Glucose Fermentation.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michael
    It is a very interesting assignment. Gram staining is a bacteriological laboratory technique, and it is almost the first step in the identification of a bacterial organism. I hope you will enjoy and success in your experiment. I promise you to follow your blog and learn more about this interesting experiment.
    Thank you
    Maha Jawad

    ReplyDelete